Friday, August 26, 2011

Chapter Ten: I saw it coming.

CHAPTER 10
I saw it coming
When I got back to the cabin then sun was just starting to come up. Patrick and Ethan were talking about the fight when I exploded through the door.
"Hey" I said trying to catch my breath
"Hey" Ethan said quiety while avoiding eye contact
"I told him you would explain what happened" Patrick said whilst nodding towards Ethan.
"I don't know what to tell him" I said as I turned around to avoid the situation
I heard a thud. Patrick always literally put his foot down when he was trying to make a point to me if he was serious.
"Yes you do." a shrill voice said from behind me
"Hey who is tha-"
BANG. BANG. BANG. Three cracks sounded off in the room so loud I could feel the vibrations in my chest. I turned around and saw Patrick facedown on the floor and Ethan sitting against the wall with blood oozing out of three holes in his torso. I was face to face with Dominic Ricci. In his right hand pointed directly in my gut was a black handgun still hot from the previous shots.
With a final BANG I woke up in my bunk soaked in either sweat or urine. Slightly embarassed and flustered I got dressed before anybody else woke up. Viktor walked through the door shortly after we had all woken up and led us all to the chow hall for breakfest. Each of us sat down at a table with Viktor with our food and began eating quietly
"So, other than the fight, you guys having a good time?" Viktor asked
Each of us nodded leaving the subject without a word. I continued to eat, quietly avoiding eye contact partly out of embarassment but mostly because I was still afraid. Since I had left the cabin I couldnt stop thinking that around every corner and behind every door Dominic Ricci would be waiting for me. I kept trying to convince myself that the fears were irrational but they weren't because when he showed up it was unnanounced and I had no control over anything once he was infront of me. I fealt Patrick nudge me
"You ok?" he whispered
"I'm fine" I lied
"Bullshit" he said with a smile
"Just had a pretty bad nightmare" I said
"Whenever you want to tell me what your really worried about, I'll be here" he whispered before asking Ethan if he wanted to swim later.
Ethan agreed so the three of us ran back to the cabin before everyone else got done with breakfast. By the time I got to the bunkhouse Ethan and Patrick were already undressing. I was about to take off my shirt when Patrick pulled me aside.
"I told him you would explain what happened." Patrick said as he took off his boxers and pulled his swimming trunks up.
"I don't know what to tell him" I said as I turned around to start undressing
I heard something crash to the floor and I assumed Ethan had pulled his bag off of his bunk and because of it's weight it fell to the floor. Wait. This happened before.
"Yes you do" a shril voice said from behind me.
"Hey, who is tha-"
Just like in my dream the previous night three cracks sounded off in the room leaving a ringing in my ears that I had never felt before. By the time I turned around Patrick was facedown on the floor unconsious and Ethan had a shocked look on his face as blood oozed from his chest. Dominic Ricci had a black pistol in his right hand jabbed directly into my gut and I could feel the heat from the previous shots.
"You can't say you didn't see this coming" he said with a wink.
With a final bang everything went silent. It felt like a bomb had gone off inside of my chest followed by a jackhammer like vibration. The impact of shot sent me reeling backwards three to five feet before I fell to the ground. Despite the intense burning in my gut I threw my hand out towards Dominic but to no avail. The bunks to the right of Dominic were thrown with a tremendous force against the back wall creating a sound almost as loud as the gunshot. I watched Dominic Ricci gingerly walk out the door before I blacked out.

2 comments: